Community Health Needs Assessment
Our hospital uses the Community Health Improvement Guiding Principles proposed by the Johns Hopkins Medicine Community Benefits Advisory Council to help guide our collective commitment and efforts. They are the following:
- Partners with those community leaders and community-based organizations that serve as stewards to guide and educate JHM to best serve the needs of each population.
- Integrates the interests, assets, and expertise of our health system, academic institutions, and the community to reach mutually agreed upon outcomes.
- Develops transparent, coherent approaches to plan, implement, evaluate, and disseminate sustainable health improvement programs and policy interventions.
In Fiscal Year 2013, our hospital conducted a community health needs assessment (CHNA) to identify the most important health issues in our community. In the same fiscal year, the Board of Trustees of the hospital approved our community health implementation strategy to address the health priorities identified through the CHNA.
As a result of the CHNA, our hospital identified the following health priorities, including the over-arching priorities of access to care and stress-related disorders:
- Sexual Health
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse
Our hospital’s commitment to improving the health and well-being of our community will be demonstrated through the deliberate planning of community benefit activities.
Community Health Improvement Plan
Our hospital completed an implementation plan that was adopted by the hospital Board of Trustees in fiscal year 2013. The implementation plan connects hospital, community partners, clinicians, and other resources with identified health needs. Our hospital aligns health priorities with the areas of greatest identified need and considers where the Hospital’s resources will generate the greatest impact.
Community benefit initiatives and programs at our hospital address local community health needs as identified by our community health needs assessment. Community benefits include the following:
- Community Health Services
- Health Professional Education
- Mission Driven Health Services
- Financial Contributions
- Community Building Activities
- Charity Care
If you have comments or questions, please contact us at 202-660-5658.