Safety and Quality Initiatives
Sibley Memorial Hospital Recognized as 2013 Top Performer on Key Quality Measures® by The Joint Commission (November 11, 2014)
- Sibley was recognized as part of The Joint Commission’s 2014 annual report "America’s Hospitals: Improving Quality and Safety," for attaining and sustaining excellence in accountability measure performance for pneumonia and surgical care
- Sibley is one of only 1,224 hospitals in the United States to achieve the 2013 Top Performer distinction
- To be a 2013 Top Performer, hospitals had to meet three performance criteria based on 2013 accountability measure data, including:
- Achieving cumulative performance of 95 percent or above across all reported accountability measures;
- Achieving performance of 95 percent or above on each and every reported accountability measure where there were at least 30 denominator cases; and
- Having at least one core measure set that had a composite rate of 95 percent or above, and (within that measure set) all applicable individual accountability measures had a performance rate of 95 percent or above.
Sibley Receives 2014 Delmarva Excellence Award (July 21, 2014)
- Sibley was the only D.C. hospital to receive the coveted award this year
- The award recognizes individual hospitals that excel in 14 measures related to patient safety and quality improvement in five national inpatient clinical areas—heart failure, surgical care improvement, pneumonia and immunization
Sibley Ranked 11th, Suburban Hospital 13th, in D.C. Metro Area by U.S. News & World Report, Suburban Ranks 15th Among all Maryland Hospitals (July 16, 2014)
- Sibley was noted as a top performer in orthopedics and urology
Sibley Honored with Quality Achievement Award for Stroke Care (July 1, 2014)
- Sibley received the Get With the Guidelines ®-Stroke Gold-Plus Quality Achievement Award for implementing specific quality improvement measures outlined by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association for treating stroke patients
- Sibley’s Stroke Center earned the award by meeting specific quality achievement measures for the rapid diagnosis and treatment of stroke patients
Sibley’s Radiation Oncology Center is Awarded LEED Gold Certification (April 30, 2014)
- The Center has been recognized for excellence in green building practice and performance by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) and awarded Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification.
- LEED Certification is recognized across the globe as the premier mark of achievement in green building. This green stamp of approval reflects design features that make a building more sustainable including site and material selection, water and energy use and indoor environmental quality
- The facility is also home to D.C.’s largest green roof, 17,000 square feet, in a health care building.
Sibley Renaissance Named in "Best Nursing Homes 2014" by US News & World Report (March 10, 2014)
- The rating covers nearly 16,000 nursing homes nationwide
- The designation of "Best Nursing Homes" was awarded to those facilities that recently earned Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ highest overall rating of five stars
- Sibley earned five stars, the highest obtainable, in overall quality, quality measures, staffing and registered nurse staffing for the second and third quarters of 2013
Learn more at usnews.com
Sibley's Maternal Fetal Medicine Program Earned Accreditation in Obstetric Ultrasound (February 5, 2014)
Learn more at AIUM.org.
Sibley Renaissance Earns Five-Star Quality Rating from Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) (February 3, 2014)
Obtained five stars in overall quality, quality measures, staffing and registered nurse staffing for the second and third quarters of 2013
Received four star in the health inspection category
Nursing home compare allows consumers and their families to compare nursing facilities in order to identify areas of concern or deficient practice
Learn more at CMS.gov.
Sibley Earns National Accreditation with Commendation from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons (January 23, 2014)
Granted Three-Year Accreditation with Commendation for the Cancer Program at Sibley (Must meet or exceed 34 CoC quality care standards, be evaluated every three years through a survey process and maintain levels of excellence in the delivery of comprehensive patient-centered care. Accreditation with Commendation is only awarded to a facility that exceeds standard requirements).
1 in 4 cancer programs in the country area accredited by ACoS and even fewer receive the highest level of accreditation, commendation.
Approximately 80 percent of newly diagnosed cancer patients seek care at an ACoS accredited cancer program
Learn more at FACS.org.
Sibley Named a Best of Bethesda 2014 "Top Vote-Getter" for Best Emergency Room and Best Heart/Stroke Care (January 15, 2014)
Learn more at BethesdaMagazine.com.
Sibley Receives Excellence Award for Quality Improvement (December 18, 2013)
2013 Delmarva Foundation Excellence Award for Quality Improvement from the Delmarva Foundation of the District of Columbia
Sibley met specific performance improvement criteria on 14 measures in four national inpatient clinical areas: Acute myocardial infarction (heart attack), heart failure, surgical care improvement, pneumonia.
Learn more at DCQIO.org
Top Performer in Key Quality Measure by the Joint Commission (October 30, 2013)
Learn more at JointCommission.org.
Distinguished Service Award & Environmental Excellence Award (October 15, 2013)
Awarded by the District of Columbia Hospital Association at their annual award banquet
Distinguished Service Award: Awarded to Deborah McDonough, Sibley’s director of Patient Safety and Quality Improvement and co-chair of DCHA’s Quality, Patient Safety and Compliance Committee
Environmental Service Award: Awarded to the Sibley EVS staff for their commitment to establishing strong environmental practices to improve the health of patients, staff and the environment
Learn more at DCHA.org.
Sibley Renaissance Earns Five-Star Quality Rating (July 25, 2013)
Received for the third and fourth quarter of 2012 and the first quarter of 2013
Awarded by CMS for excellence in three key quality domains: quality measures, staffing, annual health inspections
Learn more at CMS.gov.
Sibley Sullivan Breast Center Receives Three Year FDA Accreditation (June 13, 2013)
Inspection happens annually and involves examination of all equipment, personnel, and policies and procedures
Passed in Full Compliance
Learn more at FDA.gov.
Sibley Awarded Advanced Certification for Primary Stroke Centers (May 9, 2013)
Excellence Award for Quality Improvement in Hospitals
Awarded by Delmarva Foundation of the District of Columbia; Improvement organization designated by CMS to help implement programs to "improve health quality, efficiency and value" in the District
One of only three hospitals to receive the award
Recognizes performance improvement in four national inpatient clinical areas: acute myocardial infarction, heart failures, Surgical Care Improvement Project, pneumonia
Must achieve or exceed a 90% individual performance rate across all 14 measures across all 4 quarters of 2012
Aggregate performance rate above 96% for the four quarters
Learn more at DCQIO.org.