Thank you for your interest in becoming a Volunteer at Sibley Hospital. Please read the guidelines and rules that apply to Volunteers. All application forms should be submitted together. Incomplete Application Packets will not be filed or reviewed. Applicants will be contacted by email or phone for an interview.
Volunteer Application Process
Submit the following items:
You may mail, fax, email or personally deliver your application packet to the Volunteer Office. The Volunteer Office is located in the lobby of the Main Hospital Building.
Sibley Volunteer Service
5255 Loughboro Rd, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20016
You will meet with the Director of Volunteer Service to talk about the Volunteer Guidelines and medical requirements, ask questions, indicate your assignment preferences (if any) and set up orientation and training dates. You will take an open-note quiz over hospital policies and procedures. Applicants 18 and older will complete an authorization for a criminal background investigation.
- Annual PPD (Tuberculosis screening) for all Volunteers. Volunteers may have these tests at Sibley at no charge or may schedule the tests with a private physician at their own expense. Medical requirements must be completed BEFORE service begins. Parental/Guardian consent for PPD is required for those under the age of 18.
- Annual Influenza vaccination. Volunteers declining vaccination for medical or religious reasons must submit an appeal to Johns Hopkins Medicine.
Volunteer orientation (approximately two hours) and training in your service assignment (varies by department) is required before service begins.
Junior Volunteer Application Process
Junior Volunteers are required to be at least 15 years of age. Year round Volunteers are required to complete a minimum of 100 hours of service over a calendar year.
Submit the following items
Summer Volunteer Opportunities
Sibley Memorial Hospital Volunteer Summer Program
Our Summer Program offers Volunteers the opportunity to give their time and make a difference to our patients, visitors and staff. Individuals may choose one or more of the sessions offered (please see Summer Availability form
). Enrollment is limited and based on Hospital need.
Summer Session: June through August
All applicants must:
- Be at least 15 years of age.
- Commit to one or more available sessions, as indicated on Summer Availability form.
- IMPORTANT: Volunteers MUST be in town and available for the duration of the session chosen. We require that Summer Volunteers NOT break up the program, for example, volunteering for two weeks; going on vacation for two weeks and then returning to complete their volunteer hours.
- Individuals may continue volunteering during the year after the Summer Program ends. They will not have to repeat the application process.
Documentation of Volunteer Hours
Sibley Memorial Hospital Volunteers may request a letter documenting their completed volunteer hours.
- Volunteer may request documentation of hours ONLY after the hours have been completed.
- Volunteers must provide a fax number, email or mailing address where the letter may be sent.