A Short History of Sibley Memorial Hospital
Sibley traces its history to 1890 when the Lucy Webb Hayes National Training School for Deaconesses and Missionaries was founded by the Woman’s Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Washington, D.C. The first president of the Society was Lucy Webb Hayes, wife of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States of America.
The Lucy Webb Hayes National Training School soon recognized that a hospital was needed to provide a clinical setting for nursing education and medical care for the area’s rapidly growing population. William J. Sibley, a member of the Foundry Methodist Church, donated $10,000 for the construction of a hospital in memory of his wife, Dorothea Lowndes Sibley. The first Hospital building at North Capital and Pearce Streets, N.W. was dedicated on October 19, 1894 and opened to receive patients in March 1895.
Over the following decades, the services of the Hospital steadily expanded to meet the growing health needs of the community. By 1925, the facilities filled the entire block on North Capitol Street at Pierce and M Streets. In the late 1940s it became evident that a more modern facility was needed. The present site on Loughboro Road, N.W. was acquired through Congressional legislation in the 1950s, and a new hospital was built and opened to serve patients on May 30, 1961.
Sibley continued on a course to make the most effective use of resources to best serve the community and remained open to medical innovation. Much was accomplished to provide quality patient care, establish new medical services and provide modern technology.
Building for the Future
To meet the requirements of the future, Sibley embarked on extensive modernization and expansion program. With the completion of a Master Facility Plan in 1999, Sibley added 40,000 square feet of new space and 80,000 square feet of renovated space. This included a new emergency department, operating rooms and recovery suite, outpatient procedures suite, and an expanded radiology department with a new MRI system.
The Sibley Renaissance
building, completed in 2000, is home to the Rehabilitation Center with a warm-water therapeutic pool; skilled nursing and Alzheimer’s special care units, the Sullivan Center for Breast Health which provides technologically advanced imaging, clinical services, and support programs; and a new home for the Sibley Senior Association.
As the community demand for assisted living became apparent, Sibley built Grand Oaks
, on the Hospital campus. This gracious Georgian-style residence of 104 apartments opened in the fall of 2000. It is designed for those who wish to live independently, but may require varying levels of assistance with day-to-day activities.
Building on recognized expertise in treating cancer patients and the skill of its clinicians, the Cancer Center
was opened in the fall of 2002, with the most current radiation oncology technology in a patient-friendly environment.
In 2004, construction was completed on a new 633-car parking facility. In addition, Sibley combined recently acquired property into one 20-acre lot, adding 260,000 square feet on which the Hospital can build for the future.
An expansion of Grand Oaks was completed in 2007 which added 35 new apartments. In the same year, the Sibley Memorial Hospital Foundation
was established to raise funds to construct the new Sibley with all private patient rooms; to build a broad base of endowments to support nursing scholarships, advanced technology and program initiatives; and to increase the hospital’s unrestricted annual support.
Ground was broken and construction begun in 2009 for the new medical building which will including physician offices, surgery and imaging centers, other out-patient services, parking garage and new auditorium. Completion and occupancy is anticipated for spring 2011.
In a move to address a growing need for integrated regional health care services for patients, Sibley Memorial Hospital became affiliated with The Johns Hopkins Health System (JHHS) Corporation and became a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine
on November 1, 2010. Sibley retains its name and commitment to the local community and will gain access to the significant research and clinical programs at Johns Hopkins.
Today, Sibley is a 318-bed, non-profit, full service community hospital with a committed Board of Trustees, experienced management, dedicated staff, physicians, volunteers, and strong community support. Sibley’s leadership regularly assesses the health care needs of the community and is committed to providing modern facilities and new services and programs to meet those changing needs.