Are You a Candidate?
Wondering what it takes to qualify for surgery? Our program, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and most insurance companies have guidelines to qualify for surgery. You may be a candidate for bariatric surgery if::
- You are approximately 100 lbs or more overweight
- You have been unsuccessful with other means of weight loss
- You are highly motivated to make permanent lifestyle changes
- You are committed to long-term follow-up
- The risks of surgery are acceptable
All patients must meet the Body Mass Index (BMI) criteria defined by the National Institutes of Health:
- A BMI of 40 or greater, or
- A BMI between 35 and 40 with weight related medical problems (such as diabetes type-2, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, etc.)
If paying for your surgery through your insurance policy, your insurance company may ask for more evidence of medical necessity, including, but not limited to, documentation of previous diet and exercise weight loss attempts (called Medically Supervised Weight Loss). For more information on paying for your weight loss surgery with insurance, click here
Join us for a FREE information seminar and learn more about the weight loss surgery options at Sibley Memorial Hospital. Click here or call (202) 370-6565 to learn more about our program.